A Taste of Banff Recipes
The chefs and fine restaurants of Banff and Lake Louise aim to surprise, delight and fulfill your culinary adventures—they will impress you with dining experiences you won’t soon forget. Banff and Lake Louise are home to chefs from all over the world, so you can expect different styles and perhaps even learn a bit about their well-kept secrets through some of the recipes we’ve shared with you. There is no doubt you will want to explore and learn about our local ingredients and the magic that our chefs make with them.
Sleeping Buffalo Restaurant Braised Short Ribs on Morel Mushroom Risotto
4x meaty short ribs
1 onion diced
1 carrot diced
1 stalk celery diced
2 tomatoes chopped
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 bay leaves
4 sprig of fresh thyme
1 cup red wine
4 cups beef or game stock
Salt & pepper to season
1 cup Arborio rice
1 cup morel mushrooms, or other seasonal mushrooms, cleaned
2 tbsp butter
1 shallot, finely chopped
½ cup white wine
5 cups vegetable or chicken stock
¼ cup grated parmesan
½ tsp truffle oil (optional)
• Trim excess fat from spare ribs and season with salt and pepper. Heat heavy pan over medium heat and sear ribs until brown on all sides, add vegetables and continue browning. Add tomato and paste, continue cooking over heat for a further few minutes. Add wine stock, thyme and bay leaf. Place lid on pan and put into preheated oven 300˚F/150 C until meat starts to fall off of bone.
Approximately 2 hours. Add stock or water as required. Meat should always be covered with liquid. Remove meat from sauce and let cool. Strain sauce and reduce until sauce starts to thicken, adjust seasoning.
• Melt butter in heavy saucepan; add shallot and sauté without colour. Add rice and continue cooking for further minute. Add wine and stir until it has evaporated, add stock one cup at a time stirring frequently. After 3 cups of stock have been absorbed by the rice, add mushrooms and remaining stock. Cook until the rice is slightly crunchy in the center. Add parmesan and more liquid if required.
• To serve, place risotto in center of large bowl, remove meat from bone and slice. Arrange around risotto and drizzle sauce. Garnish with shaved parmesan.
Eden at the Rimrock Hotel Butter Poached Lobster Tail, Celeriac, Fennel
Components on plate
Lobster tail and claw butter poached - 1 each
Tempura fried knucklesc - 2nos
Lasagna of lobster and sliced celeriac - 2nos
Celeriac puree - 2tbsp
Reduced lobster stock sauce with cream - 3 tbsp
Fennel pollen - .5gms
• With a sharp knife cut across the head of live lobster. Remove tail and claw.
• Steam lobster for 2 minutes.
• Cool down the lobster in ice bath, remove tail and claw from shell.
• Vacuum pack with tarragon vinegar compound butter.
• Sous vide in an immersion circulator for 25 minutes
3 cups Chablis
1cup rice wine vinegar
½ bunch tarragon
3 bay leaf
• Mix corn flour and AP flour in 1:1 ratio.
• Make a thick batter using sparkling water.
• Season the knuckles dip in batter and deep fry.
Lasagna of lobster and celeriac
• Sautee lobster knuckle meat with shallot garlic, add cream and parmesan, salt pepper to taste.
• In a baking pan place 2 layers of thinly sliced celeriac, top it with cooked lobster meat and cover it again with 2 layers of thinly sliced celeriac.
• Cook the lasagna in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes.
• Press it overnight.
• Cook peeled and washed celeriac in heavy cream till soft. Blend to smooth and velvety texture. Correct seasoning.
Lobster shells, Carrot, Onion, Celery, Fennel bulb and green, Fennel seeds, Star anise, Orange, White wine, Tomato paste, Lemon juice
• Sautee mirepoix add tomato paste, deglaze with white wine, add lobster shell and let it roast in pan.
• Once roasted add water to cover and rest of ingredients bring to a boil and simmer for 3 hours.
• Strain the stock and reduce to half.
• Correct seasoning; add cream and a splash of lemon juice.
• Fill in a ISI syphon and charge with two NO2 chargers.
Ticino Swiss Italian Restaurant Stuffed Chicken with Goat & Cream Cheese
150g cream cheese
150g goat cheese
1 diced green onion
2 tablespoons bread crumbs
2 egg yolks
salt & pepper
4 egg yolks
50g bread crumbs
50g ground hazelnuts
• Stuff chicken breast with pastry bag.
• Season breasts, dust with flour then coat with egg yolks and bread/hazelnut crumbs, sear both sides to golden brown, put in 400 degree pre heated oven for 15 – 20 minutes until cooked through.
• Let rest for 5 minutes and serve.
Terrace Restaurant, Banff Park Lodge Basil & Sun-Dried Tomato Gnocchi with Gorgonzola Sauce
1kg Russet potatoes, washed, skin on
4 egg yolks
300g flour (approximate)
2 cups artichoke hearts cut in quarters
1 cup Kalamata olives
1⁄2 cup fresh chopped basil
1⁄2 cup finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes
Pinch of nutmeg, 1⁄2 tsp of salt & pinch of pepper
Boil potatoes in saltwater until tender but don’t overcook.
Drain and dry in oven on low heat. Peel still warm, mash to smooth purée, add yolks, seasoning, basil and tomatoes. Add flour until a firm non-stick dough is formed.
Roll dough into a 1.5cm diameter log, and cut into 1.5cm pieces.
Roll pieces over the back of a fork into boiling saltwater and cook until they just start to float, let cool on a buttered tray to avoid sticking.
Sautee gnocchi in clarified butter until golden brown, add artichoke hearts & olives. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
1⁄2 medium shallot finely diced
1⁄4 garlic clove finely diced
1⁄4 cup of white wine
1 1⁄2 cup of whipping cream
4 oz. of gorgonzola
• Sautee shallots/garlic in butter, add white wine and reduce by half. Add cream and gorgonzola and reduce until desired thickness is achieved.
• Season to taste and split evenly into 4 rimmed plates or
• Spoon in gnocchi mixture, garnish with fresh herbs and enjoy!
Ticino Swiss Italian Restaurant Rack of Veal, Olive Sun-dried Tomato Crust & Gorgonzola Sauce
2 Baby Veal Racks (approx. 1 kg): for 4 to 6 people. Season racks with salt and pepper and sear them slowly to brown, finish them in the oven at 180 degrees Celsius for approx. 12-14 minutes and let them rest afterwards; should be cooked medium.
Olive Sun-dried Tomato Crust
3 tablespoons kalamata olives (the pitted ones), ½ cup sun dried tomatoes, 6 slices of fresh french bread, mixed fresh herbs, 40 ml clarified butter and 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil: place all in food processor and season to taste.
2 tablespoons finely diced shallots, very little minced garlic, butter, white wine, 1 cup whipping cream and half a cup of gorgonzola: melt butter in pot with shallots and garlic, add gorgonzola and glaze with little white wine. Add the cream and reduce and season to taste.